The endocrinologist is a staff member of the Internal Medicine Service Division of the Specialty Medical Services Department. Her/His responsibilities are divided between the out patient endocrinology clinic and the in patient service: consultations and admissions. She/He performs her/his duties under the professional supervision of the Head of Department.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- The Consultant is the link between his department and the administration. He/She raises all matters, problems and difficulties in the department to the administration, and from the other side he/she assures the achievement of the administration policy in the department.
- Running the outpatient clinic in two sessions a day for six days/week. Alternation with the other Consultant in receiving new cases in the Outpatient clinic.
- Having rounds to in-patient departments twice daily for six days a week. Alternates with the other consultant internists in covering second on-call duties for 24 hours.
- Performing clinical procedures as required e.g. Endoscopy. Participating in different committees as required e.g. Infection Control Committee.
- Planning the policy of work in the department. Sharing with administration, through staff meetings in making plans for the work of the hospital in general.
- Evaluating the quality of work of the junior staff. Evaluating the progress of work in the hospital in general.
- The high quality of work in the hospital in a good challenge by itself to the practitioner, and is a strong drive for him/her to up-date his knowledge and refine his/her skill by attending meeting, conferences and lectures whenever chances arise.
- The consultants will participate and attend the hospital doctor’s meeting held fort-nightly for clinical cases presentation by the different departments.
- Attends Continuing Education, Infection Control and Performance Improvement programs to keep updated with the current practices.
- Provides full explanation regarding the plan of care and the available treatment options to the patient and care giver in a simple language.
- Encourages the patient and care giver to participate in taking decisions affecting the course of treatment.
- Provides educational materials related to the case for the patient and care giver.
- Plans the educational session with the patient and family after checking their willingness to learn and their learning preferences.
Education and Experience:
- Should have MD or equivalent qualification from a Western Country.
- Must hold a current medical licence.
- Valid SCFHS license and valid BCLS certification.
- Minimum of five years experience as Consultant Endocrinologist in a large hospital.
- Customer service focused.
- Capable to work and produce under pressure.
- Intermediate computer skills (Windows and Microsoft).
- Excellent interpersonal communication.
- Demonstrated teaching skills in respect of junior medical staff, other staff, patients and their families.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with all staff, patients and families.
- Awareness of and sensitivity to cultural differences.
- Ability to work effectively within a multi-disciplinary team.
- Ability to work effectively within a service and organisation committed to achieving accreditation.
- Salary Paid tax free
- End of contract bonus
- Severance Pay
- Free furnished accommodation with free recreation, sports and cultural facilities
- Free transportation service
- Up to 7.5 weeks paid annual leave per contract year
- Up to 2 return airline tickets per contract year (including agreed dependents)
- Free medical care & emergency dental care (including agreed dependents)
- Educational Allowance per child (Maximum of 3 children, 4-18 years)
- Study Leave of 10 working days per contract year and CPD courses